The weather is fantastic today (almost 50F!) and all that is going through my mind is taking a really nice long run. We are having an extremely mild winter in Austria, while Canada and parts of the US are getting crushed with snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. As much as I miss my family, I am kind of glad I am missing the harsh winter, not to mention the thought of layering my daughter with clothes to go outside. For some reason, babies despise getting dressed…especially my daughter!
The creation of the Quinoa Apple Raisin Bowl came about because I really wanted something that was substantial and filling, yet not going to feel like a rock in my stomach. This is the perfect breakfast, especially for those early birds who work out in the morning. But HOLD UP…WAIT A MINUTE! This recipe can also be used as a protein packed snack or as a healthy dessert.
With only 6 ingredients (yup that’s it!): it’s easy, it’s delicious, it’s healthy.
- 1 medium apple
- Stevia (optional: liquid drops or sugar form)
- a handful of raisins
- 1/4 cup of quinoa
- Almond Milk (you can also use coconut or soy)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Cook quinoa (1/2 cup of water to 1/4 cup of quinoa): when cooking quinoa always use a 2:1 ratio. Don’t know how to cook quinoa? Check out Whole Foods Market for good instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, cut your apple into slices. Leave the skin on because thats where all the good stuff (nutrients & fiber) is.
- Saute apples in the coconut oil & cinnamon until tender.
- When quinoa is finished, add it to the apples.
- Add your handful of raisins.
- Add a few splashes of almond milk and stevia to taste.
- Cook for another minute (letting the raisins plump a bit), serve and enjoy!
**HINT: You can make a large portion of quinoa ahead of time which makes this recipe a whole lot easier.
Ok, I gotta get off for that run……